Carpet cleaning in Lancaster differs as per the season.
The techniques applied in winter may not be the same as the ones used in spring or summer.
This is because, during winter, snow and ice make their way into your homes and on your carpets.
On the other hand, spring or summer brings in a completely different kind of dust, dirt, debris, and grime into your homes.
Let’s take a quick look at the different ways to clean carpets season-wise.
When you’re dealing with stains on your carpet, you need to clean it immediately.
You can’t afford to wait for a professional carpet cleaner to come and take care of small stains.
4 Clever and Non-toxic Carpet Cleaning Hacks
1. Remove Stains with an Iron
Iron is useful for just that - ironing and removing carpet stains. Follow the steps below.
- Vacuum to ensure crumbs and particles are removed.
- Make a solution of one part vinegar and three parts water, tap water is fine.
- Dip a towel or an old rag in the above solution.
- Dampen the spots or stains.
- Then put the towel/old rag over the stain.
- Iron on it. The heat of the iron will transfer the stain from your carpet on to the moist cloth.
- Stop ironing when the stain is removed entirely or as much as possible.
2. Get Rid of Allergens and Dust Mites
During winter, allergens and dust mites make carpets your home. But you can get rid of them by making a homemade deep carpet cleaner.
Carpet cleaning Lancaster in spring has never been easier. Make an eco-friendly carpet cleaner using the ingredients below.
- Three-fourth cup Hydrogen Peroxide
- One-fourth cup white vinegar
- Two tablespoons dish soap
- Five drops of essential oils
- Two tablespoons of fabric softener
Mix all of the above in one gallon of hot water. Ensure it’s not boiling, though.
You can use this solution in your cleaning machine. In this way, you can avoid the pricey and chemical-filled store-bought cleaning solutions.
3. Vacuum Slowly
Vacuuming very fast is not the right way to get rid of the dust.
Vacuum slowly. This will allow vacuum cleaners to do its best work by shaking the carpet fibers and gathering the dust properly in the vacuum.
4. Fluff Your Carpets
If your carpets look like they have been walked on by an army, you can very easily fluff it up.
Here’s how you can do it.
- Mix equal parts water and vinegar.
- Spray on any hardened or stained areas.
- Let it sit for a few minutes and then blot from outside to inside.
- Hold a spoon on its side and run it along the carpets. This technique will fluff up the carpet fibers and help them stand straight again.
As spring makes way for summer, these hacks will be extremely useful.
Summer months experience the most foot traffic.
Kids are on a summer break, the temperature is just right for your pets to go out in the yard and come back inside with dirty paws, and perhaps you’re entertaining guests as well.
If this is you, then use the following techniques to keep your carpets clean during summer.
4 Simple Carpet Cleaning Hacks Ideal for Summer
1. Remove Shoes at the Door
With increase in the foot traffic, it becomes imperative to remove your shoes at the door. Here’s how you can ensure it.
- Place a shoe rack at the entrance. Encourage everyone - kids or guests to place their shoes on the rack.
- Invest in indoor shoes or slippers for every member of your family. Make it a point to use these instead of outdoor shoes.
- While entertaining, request guests to leave their shoes at the door.
2. Doormats at Entryways
Doormats at all your entryways are great to keep dirt and grime away from your carpets.
Pick doormats made of materials that remove mud, moisture, and dirt from your shoes.
You can pick from several functional as well as aesthetically pleasing options.
3. Set up a Vacuuming Schedule
With your family at home for a longer time, it becomes crucial to set up a regular vacuuming schedule.
Vacuum once a week, or more if you have kids and pets at home.
Regular vacuuming helps in the following ways.
- Removes dirt and other debris that makes your carpets look worn, dingy and dirty.
- Gets rid of dust and other contaminants that can cause allergies or other respiratory issues.
4. Entertain Outside
If you love hosting parties, try and keep them outside.
If it’s warm enough, chances are your guests will love spending time on your deck or patio.
In order to reduce the number of trips inside your home, keep whatever you need outside.
No doubt, they will want to use the restroom inside. Try and use runners from all entrance points to your restroom to ensure your carpets remain clean.
You can get your carpets ready for winter before the season arrives.
By now, you probably know carpet cleaning Lancaster, Pennsylvania is a rather messy affair during winter.
It’s a cold and dirty season and moisture makes way into your homes in the form of ice and snow.
The source of common winter stains on carpets is slush, dirty snow, road salt and sometimes even soot from a wood burning stove or a fireplace that’s often used to warm your homes.
Here’s how you can tackle these stains.
1. Dirty Snow or Slush Stains
If the snow or slush is still frozen, remove the excess from your carpet with a dry cloth. Then follow the simple steps mentioned below.
- Make a quick cleaning solution of hot water and soap.
- Apply it to a clean cloth and press on the carpet to remove the stain.
- Work from the outside to the center until the stain disappears.
- Then rinse the carpet with a little cold water.
- Use a clean and dry towel to pat dry.
- Wait for the carpet to dry completely.
- Then vacuum to clear any remaining dirt, if needed.
2. Cleaning Soot Stains
Follow these steps to effectively clean the soot stains.
- You’ll need to vacuum any excess soot using the hose of the vacuum cleaner. This will ensure ash is not ground into the carpet.
- Sprinkle baby powder, cornstarch, baking soda or any such absorbent material onto the stain.
- Wait for an hour before vacuuming again on the stain.
- Next apply a dry-cleaning solvent like a commercial cleaner, mineral spirits, acetone or rubbing alcohol to a clean cloth.
- Blot gently from the edges of the stain towards the center.
- Continue doing it until the stain disappears.
- Then blot the carpet with a cloth or a dry sponge until the liquid is absorbed.
After completing these, you need to ensure that the area is well-ventilated until the carpet is completely dry.
If you’re wondering, “How do I protect my carpet from future stains in winter?”, then here are a few tips that you can adhere to.
- Ensure your walkway is always free of snow. You can shovel, use a snow blower or even hire a snow removal service.
- Try and avoid the dirty snow as much as possible. Park and enter through the garage, if possible.
- Shoe racks are your saviors. If you have multiple entrances, keep one at all the places and ensure your family or guests keep their shoes there.
- Use two doormats - one outside to stomp and remove as much snow as possible, and the other one inside to stand on while removing your shoes.
- Winter rugs or runners in heavy traffic areas of your home will help.
- If you have pets, use a pen to contain them as soon as they come inside your home. This way, you can ensure that they don’t run around with wet paws on your carpets. Wipe their paws first and then they are free to go.
These are some really simple ways to ensure that you keep your carpets clean all the year round.
That said, expert carpet cleaners advice a deep clean at least once a year. The best time to call them is probably just when spring begins.
The carpet cleaning costs in Lancaster, PA is very affordable.
For two rooms, you need to pay just $79.95 and for three rooms, it will not cost you more than $100.
That said, these costs are for a maximum of 200 square foot room.
To know more about the costs, and other cleaning services, you can also check out our Web Specials.
You’ll get some fantastic deals and prices!
There are many good carpet cleaning companies in Lancaster. One of them is Dri-Masters. Give them a call on 800-897-4032 to schedule an appointment today.